I am treasuring these moments. These sometimes long days and hard teachable times, for I know that one day, I will miss them.
I am treasuring these moments. These hilarious and beautifully goofy times and the snuggles and the "hey mom watch this" moments, for I know that one day, I will yearn for them.
Raising children is wonderful and challenging. I am reminding myself daily that it is fleeting, and the times when I get frustrated or overwhelmed are just blips in the grand scheme of the journey. I have been pleading to God to cover me with His grace and make up for all the times when I get it wrong, which is more often than I care to admit. I thankfully have a husband who is encouraging and reminds me that God has chosen these children to be ours. There are better moms than me. And there are worse ones. But, I am their mom on purpose. And I am so thankful.
I am constantly humbled by my kids. And Maggie's latest venture is no exception. A couple of weeks ago, we went to a local nursing home with our MOPS group. The kids sang to the residents and gave them valentines they had made. Now, please don't judge me, but I am not good with nursing homes. I get very uncomfortable and emotional. I can't stand the thought of those sweet elderly people alone and possibly sad.
Well, as we were leaving, Maggie asked lots of questions about the residents. She is concerned. And she wants to adopt them all and go visit them. She made me promise I would call and ask if we could visit with the ones who don't get many visitors. Did I mention this makes me uncomfortable?
Well, I promised, so yesterday I called and explained our situation. The activity director was floored. And a bit baffled. He said that they had an "adopt a grandparent" program, but it was for the local college students. He said they had never had a 5-year-old ask to come visit on a regular basis. That made me a bit sad, and also exceptionally proud that my sweet hearted little girl is stepping up in a real way.
We've been talking a lot about the orphans and the widows around our house lately. The orphan part comes easily to me, and it seems that Maggie is making sure we take up the cause of the widow also. I am so blessed by her, and I know the fine folks at the nursing home will be also, starting next week. :)
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." James 1:27
That's possibly the most encouraging thing I've read in months. Maggie might be a missionary in the making. Praise God that at five years old she is already listening to His call.
ReplyDelete