Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Chosen One

Today was just one of those days, where almost everything out of Maggie's mouth kind of struck me as humorous.  I knew I had to do a quick recap of some of our adventures. And keep in mind, this all occured from dinner till bedtime....a lot to pack into a few short hours.


Unfortunately, the first real "doozy" that flew out of her mouth was much to this mama's embarassment.  We were just entering Wal-Mart (collective *sigh*) when I saw my utter worst fear happening almost in slow motion, completely unable to stop it.  As we rounded the first corner, I see Mag's hand fly up and that middle finger (her finger of choice for pointing) is shot straight up at a nice old man wearing an eye patch. Oh dear. I try to grab her hand and distract, but to no avail.  She laughs out loud and about three decibels too loudly says, "Mommy! That man looks like a pirate!"  This is part where my face turns the color of Lightening McQueen and I wish beyond wish that I had an invisibility cloak.  Ugh.  So, I shoot him the sheepish look that states, "I'm sorry my almost 4 year old states WHATEVER is on her mind....I pray you're not offended."  And, much to my relief, he chuckles.  Thank you Jesus.  Then, Mags and I got to have a nice conversation about disabilities and differences...not our first.  Such is life with a precocious youngster, I suppose.

After the dreaded trip to Wal-Mart, we returned home to a nice rain storm.  The kids were begging to play in it, so I ran the groceries in and dropped them on the counter with out even putting the cold stuff away (life on the edge, I know) and ran back outside for bubbles and ballerina twirls in the rain.  We had a blast. William had never played in the rain before, and he was thrilled. After a while, Mags looks at me and asks, "Mom, do you think I'm odd?"  I busted out laughing and of course told her I thought she was nothing short of fabulous. Then I asked her is she knew what odd meant. She didn't, so I explained that it meant different or weird.  She then boldy stated that she was odd! Because she IS different! Because God didn't make anyone else like her!  *Atta girl!

A few minutes later, I find her putting a small pile of sand in the front yard. Upon being asked what she was doing, she casually stated that she was going to ask God for a sign....if the ground was wet and the sand was dry, she would know she was "the chosen one."  The girl needed a little Gideon action in her life, I suppose.  We both cracked up...she's such a clever one.

And, lastly, I feel that it would be horribly wrong of me not to share Maggie's version of "The Lord's Prayer" she sings at bedtime. We have to get this on film before she correctly says it all.  It is way too precious.
It goes something like this:
"Our Father, inch art in Heaven,
how will you be, thy name?
Your kingdom come,
My will be dumb
on Earf as it is in Heaven.
Give us our debts,
as we forgive our debtors
and lead us not into potation,
but deliver us from eeevil
for thine is the kingdom, and the power and the gwoooory
forever.  Amen."

Hope she put a smile on your face like she did mine. :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! That made me smile. I left my cold groceries on the counter today too. Except I didn't go play in the rain with my kids. Instead, I sat on the couch eating potato chips. :/

    ReplyDelete