Monday, September 17, 2012

Luke, I am your Father...

I'm just now getting around to updating about my initial visit at the OB last week.  They have us meet with a nurse the first time to calculate due date, check weight (yikes.) and do all the initial bloodwork.  In no way was I nervous about this, knowing that there wasn't any "news," good or bad that would really come from it.  That was, until I pulled in the parking lot.  I wasn't expecting it, but truly, I got all bent out of sorts about being back in that office.  It was the first time over the last three weeks that I've had odd feelings pop up about being pregnant again.  I mean, I've already started daydreaming of baby things, my mom has even bought a few things, and none of that threw me off. But, when the nurse handed me that fat stack of baby magazines, the first thought that ran through my head was something like "well, I'm not going near those with a ten foot pole."  Almost as if allowing myself to get too immersed with articles and dreams of healthy babies would be setting myself up for defeat. 

So, I'm not dwelling on my irrational thoughts, but I have tucked all those materials away, and maybe in about 14 weeks or so, I will feel comfortable looking through them with confidence.

Right after we found out I was pregnant, I checked babycenter.com's little due date calculator.  It is a couple of days off from what the nurse's wheel thing calculated, but we're sticking with the babycenter one, and let me tell  you why....my husband is a Star Wars geek.  The due date we originally saw is May 4, 2012.  Star Wars Day....."May the fourth be with you."  Yes, friends, that's how it's done around here. ;)

I go on October 12 to see the doctor.  I am really looking forward to this because he typically does an early ultrasound.  I wanna see what's going on in there in a bad way!  On a very cool side note, there's someone else who's going the day before me to have an ultrasound...my little sister Amie!!! The back story is too long and crazy to go into, but basically, she and I didn't meet until 2006, when she was a senior in high school.  We have the same father, but had never met.  We also have a sister, Brande, who is older. We reconnected with her last year.  It's been a wild ride, but I am soooo excited to share this journey with her. It's her first baby, and we are about 8 days apart in our pregnancies.  How cool. :)  I'm just sad that she lives so far away, and I'll only be able to see her a few times over the next 8 months. 

Lastly, I will leave you with this thought: I think I would like to have a few serious words with the man (it had to be a man) who coined the term "morning sickness" because what I've got going on over here is far from just happening in the morning. This is a new thing for me, experiencing such nausea all day and night. Woohoo! I'll take it (and a pack of crackers on the side, please).

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Star Wars Day -- that's perfect! I still remember all the Star Wars toys Kyle had in his room as a little boy. Does he still have those in a box somewhere for your kids to play with? Ted has a box or two of Star Wars comic books, cards, and we even have an old set of sheets. Anyway, Olivia was born on May 5th. She's our Cinco de Mayo baby!

    ReplyDelete