Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Ministry in the Mess

By stark contrast, our day today was really wonderful. Aside from William being sick for the last few days and having to make a trip to the doctor, it was near perfect. Thankfully we did make the trip to the dr. though, because it turns out, on top of his nasty cold, he has a double ear infection. Poor little man!

We had to make a Walmart run, which I usually dread, but for the last few years, we have participated in one of our church's outreach ministries where we fill tubs with specific foods for families in our community who won't have any for thanksgiving. It has become a really awesome way to tangibly teach our kids about helping others in need. So, since they're due tomorrow, we had to get them filled even though William was a little worn out. I felt slightly less than mom of the year when I looked in the cart to see him asleep on the pack of pull-ups. See pic below ;)

This afternoon, I tried to really focus on Maggie and it was definitely worth it. We painted our nails, made a Thanksgiving craft and an apple pie while William slept. Tonight, while Kyle worked, we've all played board games, taken a hot chocolate break and currently, the kids are piled up with pillows and blankets watching Rudolph.

I feel like i slightly made up for yesterday with my kids. It has been refreshing to just soak them in, laugh and talk with them without the phone, tv and 'stuff' to distract me. I'm thankful for the junk of yesterday, for it made me appreciate today even more.

I am also thankful that God can use my messiness to help others. I am always amazed at the responses I get from women after being candid about everything from the trials to the triumphs of motherhood. I am not alone. And it helps other moms to know they are not alone. So, I have to wonder...if we all crave authenticity and transparency, why is it often so difficult for us to live in it? Why has society, churches even (sometimes), led us to believe that we must project am image of "having it all together?" If we're honest with ourselves, and I believe we all have a deep thirst for that, then we know that none of us really has it all together. And that is ok! Good even! Because if we did have it all together, then why would we need to rely on Christ? In our weaknesses, He is glorified! I can attest to that firsthand! He can use our pain and struggles for our growth, for ministry, for edifying others. We just have to let Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment