Friday, January 15, 2016

Whole 30: Day 1

Let's go ahead and get this out of the way. I love food. And i mean all the stuff that's not good for me. Also, I'm pretty scared to start Whole30, even though I know it's what I need. Funny how that happens a lot in life....what we need is rarely comfortable at first. 
This whole thing came about as I, of course, began thinking about the new year coming up, and being entirely fed up with my current weight and health situation, knew I had to do something!
I began researching different plans and found some good ideas, but none of it was really "doing it for me," ya know?
Well, shortly after the new year started, a friend also emailed an invite for me to join an amazing group of women and do the Jen Hatmaker study "7."
If you're not familiar, then let me just quickly tell you that it's 'an experimental mutiny against excess.' Says so right in the cover. Looking at seven areas of excess in our lives, ridding ourselves of all the unnecessary extras and focusing on Christ, making room for His Spirit as we strip away what normally consumes us. 
Kyle had gotten this book as a white elephant gift at Christmas (GASP!) Who would get rid of this amazing book?!  Anyways, I digress, but I just thought it was pretty clear that I was suppose to do this study, since it was given to me just weeks before some remarkable ladies joined up to tackle it together. 
So, last weekend, I was reading my book and trying to figure out if I wanted to only eat seven foods for a month, like the author, or some variation of the plan. I began reading more about Whole30, and the more I read, the more convinced I was. I downloaded the book "It All Starts With Food" by the creators of whole 30, and it blew my mind. I truly had no idea what the seemingly 'healthy' foods were doing to my body, and knowing that I wasn't great at even eating foods that we all assume are healthy, it rocked me. My diet is crap. I am teaching my kids to eat crap. Kyle and I have often talked that we don't want our kids to struggle with unhealthy relationships with food like we do, yet that's what we are teaching them. It is time for a change, friends!! 
For days, I poured myself into reading and researching the plan. I cleaned out cabinets and the fridge. (Granted we're not going totally crazy on the kids, so some things remained in the house, but it's all in its own "off limits" cabinet now.)
The menu plans are made and the shopping has been done. Day one is here, and while I'm nervous about it, I'm also really excited to see how it changes us, and helps us form more healthy habits. 
One thing has already been interesting to me, and it's not even the end of day one. After spending more at the grocery than normal (crap food is much cheaper than real, healthy food ya'll) I immediately felt bad because it will financially put us in a bit of a tight spot for a week or two. 
But upon getting the groceries put away and a gorgeous salad made for lunch, a feeling of guilt swept over me. Here I am, nervous about eating different foods than I'm use to, and wondering how bad I'll miss my favorite treats, when people all over the world simply wish they could get their hands on the food I just dropped too much money on. So, I overspent on us and I'm dreading to a degree how much time I'll have to spend in the kitchen this month preparing food. I kind of disgust myself. We have so much more than we need, and millions of kids a year die of starvation. What in the world?! 
So, I will say that day one has been nothing short of eye opening and a good reality check for me. 
If this is just the beginning, I am PSYCHED to see what God's going to do with the rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment