Tuesday, December 4, 2012

It's About Giving

"You may give without love, but you cannot love without giving."
 
 
Funny I should stumble upon this quote today on a friend's Facebook page.  Because just this morning, as a new blogger for Compassion International (whom we've been partnering with for over a year now!) I was given the assigment to blog about what the phrase "It's About Giving" means to me.  You see, this is their newest campaign.  For the next 19 days, Compassion's goal is to raise awareness, raise sponsors and raise $20,000 for children in need.
 
So, I have to truly examine what giving means to me. I hate to admit that I struggled with this at first.  I've never thought of myself as a proficient "giver" as I use to think of it only from a monetary standpoint, and there's not a lot extra to give.  Plus, over the course of the past year, my family has recieved more than they've given, as friends have given meals, momentos, cards, hugs, prayers, money, time, kindness and understanding as we have muddled through death and grief and sorrow.  So, I know what it means to receive immense love from others. And, through the many gifts given, I know what giving looks like, what it tastes like, what it smells like and what it feels like to me. 
 
Giving looks like a tiny diamond necklace, purchased by my husband to offer to me as the only gift our son will ever "give" me as we await his birth and imminent death.
 
Giving tastes like hot meals prepared by friends and acquaintances for many weeks after losing our son, when I was too far in grief to have the energy to worry about food.
 
Giving smells like a clean house, done completely by a friend who knew I need time to be alone and not worry about all the chores piling up.
 
Giving feels like my son's chubby 2-year-old hands cupping my chin and turning my face to look in his eyes while I cry.
 
All these things are love in motion.  And truly, you cannot love, without giving! It may seem easier to do things like this, to give in tangible ways, to those around you, that you know well, that you see face to face.  But, what about those that you don't know?  Those faces that you can only see on a computer screen or in a small picture...is it easy to give to them? 
 
Up until August 2010, I couldn't envision what giving looked like to someone I didn't know.  That's when God called me to sacrifice for one of His children in need.  Although I didn't know how a monthly sponsorship fee would fit into our budget, I knew without a doubt, that God was calling me to trust Him that the money would be there...that I had to be a Compassion sponsor. And that I had to care. I had to love others and put their needs above my own.  So, Fatima is now one of our children, and not surprisingly, the extra expense has never put us in a bind. 
 
It has been a huge blessing to us, and just the initial step into a bigger picture God has for our family.  So, my hope is that you too can consider giving. Giving of yourself. Giving of your money, either through sponsorship or through items in the Gift Catalog.  You will certainlybe blessed as you bless others!
 
Christmas Gift Catalog
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment