Friday, December 9, 2011

Week in review

The last few days at our house have been about as ordinary as they come.  We've been crazy busy, as is everyone this time of year, and I have been thankful that we've had lots of parties and friends around this week.  I even had one whole day when I didn't cry...and I found it oddly bizarre.  I figured something must be wrong with me...I mean, who in my situation doesn't cry every day?!  But, it was strangely reassuring that life will continue on, and I will have almost "normal" days again.

Tuesday, I had the heartbreaking privilege to meet with my friend Mandy and her sister.  Mandy and I were due within days of eachother, and she lost her beautiful baby girl last week.  Her sister lost a baby many years ago, but carried him to full-term, knowing of his condition for many weeks.  It was a painfully beautiful to sit with these lovely women, all of us members of an atrocious club we didn't sign up for, but seeking the Lord through it all.  I am always so pained and saddened when I hear how many women have gone through loss, either early miscarriage or late term births, but I am also grateful that we can draw strength from each other and know that we're not in it alone.

Wednesday was  my Bible study group's Christmas party. Although it was an emotional time, I find such joy and strength from the love of these women. They are so supportive and encouraging.  And, they're hilarious, so it was good to also just let go and have fun with them!

Thursday, I woke up feeling pretty down. I hadn't felt much movement from Elijah the day before, so I guess I was just worried.  I knew it was going to be a crazy and fun day, but I was just having trouble getting it all together.  Then, Kyle told me a quick story about a girl at the university where he works, and it flipped my mood in a hurry...

Months ago, Kyle had told me about a freshman girl on the volleyball team whose name was Alijah.  I think her parents were expecting a boy, but got a girl, so they changed the 'E' to an 'A'.  We both loved the name and obviously tucked it in the back of our minds for future reference.  Kyle told me that after their staff meeting on Wednesday, that the volleyball coach stopped him to tell him how our Elijah has had an impact on that Alijah.  Please keep in mind that I'm getting these details twice removed from the source, so I don't know all of the issues this student faces, but from what I am told, she was maybe having difficulty being so far away from home, among other frustrations and concerns.  I am guessing that she was thinking of returning honme and not coming back here for her education.  In the midst of all this, the coach told Alijah about our situation and how her name inspired us to name our little one Elijah, regardless of gender.  Something struck her about this little life that is fighting to survive everyday. Something struck her about us not giving up on our Elijah.  And, she has apparently told the coach that if we aren't giving up in the face of horrible trials, then neither is she!  Oh my goodness! How my heart soared!  To think that we are already seeing evidence of God's hand at work in other people's lives because of our precious baby.  Thank you, Jesus!

I was renewed!  And, I felt some baby kicks....so, with a much better attitude, I took off for a morning of being with friends at a meeting, then alone to finish some Christmas shopping and get a pedicure. Oh fun!  That afternoon, we met with two of our pastors.  I was a bit nervous about this meeting simply because I knew we would have to touch on details that I had basically been denying needed to be dealt with.  There is just something too real and painful for me yet about planning memorial services and getting info from funeral homes, but thankfully, as I should have expected, they were so gracious and cautious with our feelings.  They gave us so much good information and took the time to really listen to how we are doing.  I just can't say how thankful we are for our church family. They are truly amazing and loving.

Today, my mom is here.  She is going to help us celebrate an early Christmas tomorrow morning. I am thrilled. Hope everyone else has a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment