/Comfort Food/: food that brings some form or measure of comfort, sense of well-being, or easy satisfaction, prepared in a traditional style having a usually nostalgic or sentimental appeal.
So, like any respectable Southerner, I'm a huge fan of comfort food....so much so that I have a whole section in my recipe binder devoted completely to it. I ran across this recipe last week in my "Gooseberry Patch Family Favorite Recipes" cookbook. Oh yum. I made it last night for the first time, and another empty bowl is sitting next to me as I type after lunch.
Cheesy Tuna Tempter
1/2 cup celery, chopped 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup onion, chopped 1/4 t. salt
5 T. butter, divided 1/4 t. pepper
10 3/4 oz. can cream of mushroom soup 8 oz pkg. medium egg noodles, cooked
1 1/2 cup milk 10 Ritz crackers
6 oz. can tuna, drained
1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Saute celery and onion in 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat until tender. Add soup, milk, tuna, cheeses, salt and pepper; mix well.
Place cooked noodles in a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish. Pour tuna mixture over top; toss to coat noodles. Sprinkle cracker crumbs on top and (after melting) pour remaining 3 tablespoons butter over cracker crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Serves 4 to 6.
I should mention that I love, love, love Gooseberry Patch products and cookbooks! You should check out their site http://www.gooseberrypatch.com/
If you're a comfort food fan also, be on the lookout for more yummy recipes from me! Next might be my Aunt Margaret's meatloaf....oh delish!
I love tuna...so will definately give this a try. BTW, am SOOOO looking forward to Aunt Margaret's meatloaf recipe. I KNOW that I love that!
ReplyDeleteOooh I am looking forward to the meatloaf recipe, too. I might be bugging you for it in the meantime!
ReplyDeleteHey. This isn't a critique of the recipe, but, just a question. Where can you find a 6 oz can of tuna anymore? As far as I can tell they just make 5 oz cans. That really annoys me.
ReplyDeleteAnn, I couldn't find it either, so I just bought 2 five oz. cans. Sorry. :)
ReplyDelete