Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Treasure chest

I stumbled upon a great treasure in the ladies that I have shared Bible study with for the last four months.  I went out on a limb and showed up at a study where I knew only one other person, at a different church, after the sessions had already begun, and I found jewels.  There, in that room, in just a few short months, I have learned more and grown to love Jesus more than I ever would have expected.  The women are from all walks of life, all different ages, and all committed to encouraging and supporting each other through this messy journey of life.  We have laughed together, cried together (pretty and not so pretty) and attempted to dance for the Lord regardless of whether we were blessed with rhythmn or not.  I almost cried this morning, when we met for the last time before summer break.  I wondered out loud, "I have only known you all for four months!  And now I can't figure out how I'm going to get through the summer without you!"  How is that possible?!

Because there is great joy and strength in sharing the Word with other daughters of the King!  In a group where you are fully able to be who you were created to be, amazing things can happen! It's easy to pretend that life is "under control", but when you enter a room full of sisters on fire for the Lord, the walls of pretense and perfectionism come a tumblin' down!  The reality of our struggles, victories, successes and failures are just part of what makes us who we are called to be.

 Romans 11: 29 says, ...for God's gifts and His call are irrevocable"  I don't know about you, but that makes me wanna shout!  God has a plan, a purpose and a call on each of our lives!  And regardless of how badly we think we might have messed up, or how ruthless our enemy might be, God still has the victory! Always! What He has set in motion CANNOT be taken back!  We may endure difficult times, but the One who created us in our mother's womb is holding us still and will see us through to the winner's circle.  Praise God!

We shared some of our testimonies this morning of how God has done a "reversal of destiny" in our lives.  I shared much of what I wrote in my blog back on April 1...about how God has shifted my priorities, allowed me to be free to be myself, set a hunger for His word in me and showed me the sheer joy of rasing my/His children. I was deeply touched when one of the older women of the group came to me afterwards and shared how thankful she was that I was open to what God is teaching me right now about changing my perspective on raising my kids.  She said that she spent years of her life feeling like her kids were "in the way" of her relationship with God and the things she wanted to do.  I could sense the remorse she felt for not realizing sooner what joy He wanted her to experience with her kids.  I often feel the same remorse, as it was only a few months ago I too felt that way.  I am so thankful that God has opened my eyes to loving my children in a way that most honors Him.  How grateful I am, that although I regret having wasted the first three years of Maggie's life with a bad mindset, that I can reverse that mentality and show her and William unconditional love that is only a glimpse of what Jesus has for them!  And I praise Him that when I do lose my cool or have a complete meltdown with one of them, that I can ask for forgiveness from Him and my children (nothing like being humble in front of a three year old!)...and it is given. 

I wonder how many other young moms out there share in this struggle.  I have been amazed and blessed to hear from several women lately how God is turning things around for them, and they are breaking free of the "what-I-should-dos" and the "who-I-should-bes"  and entering into awesome fellowship with their Creator.  I pray freedom for those who might be reading this and feel trapped by their situation or the lies of the enemy.  There is abundant life to be had in Christ, sister! It is waiting and so is He!

No comments:

Post a Comment